2017-08-03 / Life in Leelanau

Foundation awards more than $67,000 to Northport groups


THE LEELANAU Township Community Foundation has moved to a new location at 301 N. Mill St. and is marked by a driftwood sign created by artist Julie Glidden. Pictured (from left) with the new sign are executive director Joan Moore and administrative assistant Megan Ernst. THE LEELANAU Township Community Foundation has moved to a new location at 301 N. Mill St. and is marked by a driftwood sign created by artist Julie Glidden. Pictured (from left) with the new sign are executive director Joan Moore and administrative assistant Megan Ernst. The Leelanau Township Community Foundation (LTCF) has announced $67,125 in grant funding for local community groups.

The bulk of the grant funding — $51,000 — will go to the Village of Northport to help pay for an underground conduit to install streetlights on Nagonaba Street.

The village will also benefit from a separate $4,000 grant to fund the creation of a rain garden at the corner of Nagonaba and High Street.

Some $6,500 was awarded to the Northport Arts Association on behalf of the Public Art Committee to fund implementation and installation of a mural called “BAY PRESENTS” on the Northport Marina north parking lot wall. Volunteers are asked to join in the “paint-by-number” project next week.

Other grants provided by the Foundation were:

 The nonprofit Northport Energy is the recipient of a $2,275 grant for public educational materials.

 Leelanau Christian Neighbors was awarded $1,850 to provide baby care and safety items for users of its baby pantry.

 The Youth Advisory Council awarded $1,500 through Northport Public School for “campership” for students to attend Shady Trails Camp.

The LTCF is one of Michigan’s oldest community foundations. It was established by Francis Haserot with a $35,000 gift in memory of his business partner, Northport native G. Marsten Dame. The foundation has provided more than $3.5 million in grants to support community projects since 1945.

Return to top