2018-05-17 / Life in Leelanau

Newcombs celebrate 60 years of marriage


BEVERLY AND EDWARD Newcomb are shown on their wedding day 60 years ago, and as they appear today. BEVERLY AND EDWARD Newcomb are shown on their wedding day 60 years ago, and as they appear today. If you see the owners of Edward’s Home Furnishings today, wish them happy anniversary.

Edward L. and Beverly J. (Godziebiewski) Newcomb were married on May 17, 1958, in East Detroit.

The couple took a chance when they loaded two boys and two girls in their 1967 Pontiac Catalina and headed north to start a “lamp shop” in Suttons Bay. That was in 1971. Bev waited tables at the Park Place Hotel and helped Ed run the family store, which was located in the building now occupied by the Hang On Express restaurant.

The store grew and prospered, leading the Newcombs in 1976 to build a new home for their business at the former site of a Texaco gas station. Edward’s Home Furnishings remains at 211 St. Joseph St. today, and has expanded to include a spacious Patio Shop at 112 Broadway St.

The Newcombs are parents of four children, Kurt and Jackie (Stradinger) Newcomb of The Villages, Fla.; Kent Newcomb of Suttons Bay; Kelly (David) Pobuda of Suttons Bay; and Kerry Newcomb of Suttons Bay. They also have eight grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

The store remains family orientated as Kent, Kelly and David are employed at Edward’s Home Furnishings, as are grandchildren Dillon and Jordan Newcomb as well as Cameron Pobuda.

Return to top