2018-07-05 / Courts

Fake bills, meth lab found after traffic stop

SCHAUB SCHAUB A 35-year-old Lake Leelanau man faces life in prison after his arrest last week in Centerville Township.

Jacob O. Schaub was arraigned Tuesday in District Court on a three-count warrant stemming from a traffic stop on S. Popp and Lavassar roads, just south of the Leland/Centerville township line.

According to police reports, an anonymous subject called the Sheriff’s Office at 5:44 a.m. last Thursday, June 28, stating that a white male subject was asleep in a Volkswagen Jetta along the side of Popp Road.

The caller was able to wake the driver, who proceeded to drive a short distance before appearing to fall asleep again.

Deputies found Schaub passed out in the driver’s seat of the running vehicle, according to their report. As they roused him from the vehicle, deputies observed what they thought was a handgun fall from a holster in his hip. The gun was determined to be a BB pistol.

While being patted down for additional weapons deputies found illegal pills and a loaded syringe and other drug paraphernalia. Also, a large amount of what was thought to be currency in large bills was confiscated.

Schaub was formally arraigned Tuesday on the a felony charge of possession of counterfeit money, a 5-year felony; possession of methamphetamine/ ecstasy (second offense), a felony with a penalty of up to 20 years in prison and/or $30,000 fine; and operating with a controlled substance third offense, a felony with a penalty of 1 to 5 years imprisonment.

Schaub was also charged as a threetime habitual offender, which means the penalty could be doubled on the underlying offense. He remains jailed on a $400,000 bond.

Meanwhile, the Traverse Narcotics Team (TNT) responded to Schaub’s residence on Amore Road Monday after receiving a report that suspicious substances may be found there. TNT members found items consistent with the production of methamphetamine in a detached garage.

TNT was called in to clean up the site. A report has yet to be completed, Sheriff Mike Borkovich reported.

Return to top