Page 16 - Visitors Guide 18
P. 16

Elmwood Township  rst gained its reputation as the entrance to Leelanau County without the help of M-22, which seems odd today. In fact, Leelanau’s shoreline villages relied on Great Lakes shipping rather than overland travel.
But boats did play a role in Elmwood becoming known as the “Gateway to Leelanau.” Instead of Lake Michigan, think Lake Leelanau, which stretches 25 miles north to south in the middle of the county.
According to the book “100
Competition from the steamer Leelanau  rst drove the Sallie, then the Tiger, off Lake Leelanau. The Sallie rots in the river as the crew of the Leelanau look on. Photo from the Leelanau Historic Society
Leelanau Visitors Guide 2018
Years in Leelanau,” the site
was  rst owned by an African- American who recognized the site as an ideal way to transport people and goods from Traverse City — just eight miles away by land — to Leland.
The little burg became known as Fouch at what is now Perrin’s Landing. John R. Fouch built a short tramway from a
station along the Manistee & Northeastern Railway to a dock he built on Lake Leelanau. Fouch installed a small  atcar that he used to transport baggage and freight to two steamers that pied the lake to Leland, making stops along the way. Eventually competition forced one of the steamers’ owner to return to commercial
“With the arrival of the
automobile, traf c began to diminish, and when the last of the two steamers blew up in 1921 the activity disappeared,” the book states.
Perrin’s Landing remains privately owned and the site of a small lakeside bar and restaurant.

   14   15   16   17   18